Sunday, September 25, 2011

Life in America: How you walk

So a lot of things surprised me when I arrived here in the US, like people driving on the wrong side of the road (that's what they say about us too haha), or how the houses weren't fenced (I knew about this, just that seeing it is another feeling altogether). It was a little bit of a culture shock. But today, I'm going to talk about one of the most notable thing - at least to me - about the people in Madison when I arrived.

And that is the way people walk here.


No, it is not that they walk in a weird way or something. But they walk real fast!

Some of you might have had an opportunity to hang out with me and do a little bit of walking together. You may have noticed that I walk very fast most of the time. But here in Madison, the speed I walk in is just the average speed.

How I walk in the streets of Malaysia

I first noticed this when I was walking in the streets of Madison. Then all these people kept overtaking me from behind, which immediately caught my attention. Back in Malaysia, noone overtakes me while I walk, usually anyway. Which is kind of weird when we consider that the world's fastest walkers are Singaporeans, our neighbor in the south.

There are probably a couple of reasons why they walk so fast here though:

1.) Just because they can - Well, most people here are taller than me, and thus have longer legs. Makes perfect sense.

2.) People here are more time conscious - I do not mean to generalize, but overall time is seen as something valuable here. People tends to walk faster because it saves time.

There might be more reasons. But I will try figure that out on another day. Meanwhile, more homework!



Till next time, Cheers~


p.s. Like the post on facebook if you want to see more mini-posts about the life here. Greatly appreciated!

No comments:

Post a Comment