Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Till I'm 30

S'up guys. It's been quite an eventful portion of the month, so much so that I do not have the time to sit down and write.

So Steve Jobs died a few weeks ago. It caused a massive reaction from people all over the world. And then some drama, and then more drama. I didn't really feel anything when I heard the news. I mean, should I even? I was never a Macintosh computer or laptop user, I never owned an iPod, or iPhone, or iPad (my family does now, however. It's now my 3-year-old brother's toy). Nor did I ever wanted one... Err... Save maybe when iPod was still the "In" thing, at that time I really wanted one, but it didn't happen. In short, Jobs never meant anything to me, nor will he ever now that he is dead. A post started circulating on Facebook about one week after his death, it was an artcle talking about how Jobs wasn't even close to being a "great", and then he was compared to Jonas Salk, the scientist who invented Polio vaccine and decided not to patent it so that everyone can take the vaccine for free. Salk, now that's a person who deserve more recognition and respect. Salk has been one of my personal heroes for a long time, but more of him next time in my blog.


Anyway, this morning I woke up and all the sudden I realized that the next ten years of my life has already been laid out in front of me, I just have to make sure I do everything perfectly. It was such a revelation. The night before I was checking out this movement in Malaysia called "Teach For Malaysia", and decided I really wanted to join the program. This movement, by no means, is news to me. I have known it for almost half a year now. But it didn't really appeal to me earlier as I didn't want to commit 2 years into teaching in a school I might not like. Besides, a "teacher" doesn't have much prestige to it, I thought. But really, if there were no teachers, where would we be today?



Actually, I like to teach, I guess it's one of those odd characteristics of being a scientist. I just can't stop sharing knowledge (although most of the time I realize people just don't care, so I keep it to myself). So I thought I will give it a shot, after I graduate from university of course. For now it seems like I will only be able to join the teaching program in 2015, given that I graduate from university in May of 2014.

In 2017 I will presumably have ended the Teach For Malaysia program. I think that is when I will give US another visit, this time to grab a PhD. That would probably take me another 4-5 years. And then hopefully by the time I am 30 in 2022, I will finally become a researcher in genetics.

That is a long time ahead. But I can already feel it. Feel what? I don't know. Just feel it lo. Where does money come in all of these? I am not sure. I have never been really crazy over money (though having extra will not harm, of course.). Earning loads of gold just isn't my thing, as long as it keeps my life going the way I want it to.

Sometimes I ask myself, how much money do I really want to earn in my life? Well, for now I am just thinking of having enough to raise a family and to pay for children's education through college with ease. I said "with ease" because one thing I think my parents haven't got it right was to be able to give each of my siblings the freedom to learn whatever we want, in anywhere we want, due to financial constraints. But then again, I am not blaming them, nor am I complaining. This was their plan. But I am definitely going to make sure my kids get to study without worrying about not having enough money for college fees. Then again, people change right? So maybe my personal values might change by that time and I will be viewing money in a different way. Who knows?

So, again. That is a long time away. But isn't it good to have plans sometimes? Just so that you know something is wrong when it is not going to according to your plan? Without a plan, you wouldn't know what is wrong with your life, you wouldn't even know what you really want. Right? Right. Thank you for agreeing with me.



Phew... This week. I can take my foot off the accelerator pedal for a bit, and have some rest and play some music. In America you don't get as much holidays as in Malaysia. In fact for the whole semester we are just going to have 3 holidays. The first was labor day way back in September, the next is Thanksgiving weekend in November where we have Thursday and Friday off.

But anyway, hopefully I get to write and blog more.



Till next time, cheers~

No comments:

Post a Comment