That's right, I got your attention with the all caps title didn't I?
So I just came back from my third physics exam of the semester, and I'm giving myself a little timeout for the day, and talk about the exams in my school to you imaginary audience. Oh wait, you exist? Thank you, I appreciate that you bothered to read about something that have been so dreaded by us since we started school in Standard 1. Yeah yeah, it is SPM and STPM season in Malaysia. If you are taking the exams this year, extra brownie points for you. : )
Now I have taken quite a few exams in the university. And it is just so different than the exam style in Malaysia. Let me quickly point out a few:
1. The exams are relatively easier.
Most exams that I've taken weren't excruciatingly hard (like the ones I had in high school *ahem*). There were some challenging questions, but generally most questions I had were conceptual questions, meaning they test your understanding of the subject, not your ability to write bullshit. So, if you study, you'll do fine.
2. It is a bit easier to peek in exams.
The classes I am taking consists of hundreds of students! So naturally, it is difficult to monitor every single student all the time. And the exams I have had were in lecture theaters, where the seats get lower as they near the front. So, don't know the answer for a question? Take a quick peek at the student in front of you.
3. Notes are allowed, sometimes.
Another reason why the exams are easier, and this is especially applicable in Sciences. Professors won't exactly force you do memorize every single formula in your textbook, because... What's the point if you don't know when to use it right? For my Physics and Genetics exams, we were allowed limited amount of notes in the exam. So we would cram whatever we think is going to be useful into a paper with size specified by the professor. But even with the help of notes, you will see that most people will not do well in the exam. I don't know why is that, but I find the exams so much easier when I was allowed to bring notes. Hmm...
4. There are hardcore people
When you thought you did well in your exam and is going to top the class, there is always a few people who just seem to do better than you. At least that was what happened to me. Sort of reminds me of the days in high school when it just seemed impossible to catch up with the few peeps who always get straight A's in exams even though you were studying hardcore. I actually feel proud of my high school because it felt just as competitive as my university (And this university is ranked top 50 in the world wei don't play play). So if you are looking for a potential school to send your children to, go find SMJK Yu Hua kthxbai.
5. Then there are the people who just don't care (This isn't exactly exclusive to U.S., we have this in Malaysia too)
They come to class to Facebook. They come into the exam venue and leave early and thought that it is cool. They get a fail grade but they don't care because they are rich like that. Problem?
That basically sums it up. Exams here, I am enjoying it. Actually I think I enjoy it because I usually score higher than most of the class. Oh, and I am in this Physics class full of aspiring engineers, and I outscored them in the last 2 exams, let's hope I do for this third one too. Wait, I am getting a little bit cocky here. Ok ok, I should keep quiet. Must humble sikit, right?
Till next time, cheers~

No comments:
Post a Comment