Saturday, May 21, 2011

Rapture!

I would hate to be this guy on May 22.

Nope. Not the Bioshock "Rapture".

If you have been following the international news or, particularly, the news in the US. You would have heard of this news. If you had not, I would suggest that you stop reading and google something along the line of "May 21 Rapture", read any articles by any news media. That would help you understand what's going on.

So a church in the US has been telling everybody that the world is coming to an end on the 22nd of May, this year. The church, led by an old man named Harold Camping (I should add that he is also a multi-millionaire and the host of the most subscribed Christian radiostation in the US), spent enormous amount of money setting up billboards all over (I do not know how far wide are the billboards, but I presume quite a large area across the US). Here are a few examples of the billboards. I have taken the liberty of sharing them with you. ; )

That is right guys. Cry, cry... Be very afraid. Because Bible GUARANTEES it!


Yup, don't want to miss a barbecue session with Jesus.

And all you unbelievers will be tortured until the 21st of October, then the world will end, and you then will get more torture in Hell. 

Here we go "again". Just like many other false prophecies.

Yes, it is really that insane. But what's more insane is that these people genuinely believe in it! They wear sandwich boards in cities, giving fliers, grabbing anyone off the street and yelling at them. If you didn't know, you would have thought that it was a massive publicity campaign for some cheesy product.

That doesn't surprise me though. What surprises me is the level of hypocrisy of these "believers". They preach that the believers will ascend to Heaven comes 21st of May, but they do not live as if they are really going to leave this world.

If you are going to leave this life, why bother saving your money? Why bother keeping all your possessions? Walk what you preach, give it to the poor, you do not need those in heaven anyway (and the poor deserves better).

Still keeping? I don't know what do you call it if not being a hypocrite. Seriously.



As for Harold Camping who made the prediction. Well, he made a prediction a decade earlier, saying that the world is going to end in 1994. Nothing happened.

Personally, I would hate to be this guy on the 22nd of May, when everything is still fine, and Jesus didn't come, and none of these "believers" left for Heaven. But that's just me. Some people love attention so much they believe that bad publicity is still publicity. Don't be surprised if he end up trying to bid for US presidency after this. (Another Christian evangelist, Pat Robertson, made a prediction that the world is going to end in 1982, nothing happened of course. But Pat Robertson went on to run for presidency in 1988.)

Oh well. I am just glad that Christianity in Malaysia hasn't stooped that low yet. But given enough time and with the growing fundamentalism movement, I am sure one of these days something like this may spread to and surface in Malaysia - Land of Anything Also Can. That is when I will totally - and finally - give up hope for this country.

Anyway. Happy Rapture everyone. Hope I will see you around when tomorrow comes.



Till next time, cheers~


p.s. Would someone ask Kanye West to interrupt the Rapture, please?

3 comments:

  1. Thought they all go to Heaven when they die? Didn't know they had to wait in their graves until Judgement day.

    I could use their money to make the " torturous" days I'm about to spend after Judgement day till the End of the World enjoyable. Now...where's that dream car I've been dying to get...?

    ReplyDelete
  2. He said the Rapture's going to start in Christmas Island, today. So far nothing happens. He is one step closer to shame.

    ReplyDelete